The National Playwriting Program (NPP) of KCACTF offers a staggering number of opportunities for playwrights. At Region I, we encourage you to submit your work and are here to help you through the process.
Two important changes have been made for this year.
1. For this year we are opening up the number of plays a student can submit. (In the past the restriction was 2 ten-minute plays, 2 one act plays, 1 full-length. You may submit as many plays as you wish.
2. You may submit a play you’ve submitted before (especially if you’ve made alterations to it).
We have endeavored to make the process as smooth as possible; when the inevitable questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to your submissions, and hope to see you at Festival!
James Ryan Caldwell
NPP Chair, Region I
NPP Vice-Chair, Region I
CUNY Hostos Community College
Goals and Focus
NPP is dedicated to supporting student playwrights in the development of their original work for the stage, with dramaturgical and performance opportunities that emphasize respect for the written word and for the playwright’s contribution to the theatrical process.
The National Playwriting Program’s Mandate is:
- To offer progressive mentorship of student playwrights that honors the integrity of individual voice, and is aimed at nurturing students into professional playwrights
- To strive to create links with individual artists and institutions in the professional sphere, and to provide opportunities for the production of student work
- To advocate for theatrical text and to preserve the integrity of the playwright’s intent within all stages of the collaborative process.
- To engage and support faculty members who are developing new work in their theatre programs.
Original Play Submission Deadlines and Guidelines
|AWARD NAME||AWARD TYPE||DEADLINE||GUIDELINES|
|THE NATIONAL TEN MINUTE PLAY AWARD||National||Nov. 1||MORE INFO | SUBMIT|
|DAVID MARK COHEN AWARD||Regional||Nov. 1||MORE INFO | SUBMIT|
|JOHN CAUBLE SHORT PLAY AWARD||Regional||Nov. 1||MORE INFO | SUBMIT|
|MICHAEL KANIN PLAYWRITING AWARDS||National||Dec. 1||MORE INFO | SUBMIT|
All plays are submitted through Submittable.
Please remove your name and school affiliation from your playscript.