For students who either cannot prepare a scene in advance of festival, or those who are specifically interested in director, playwright and dramaturgical collaboration, the Directing Program partners with the National Playwriting and Dramaturgy programs.
Six ten-minute student plays will be presented as staged readings during the festival. Student directors, dramaturgs, playwrights and actors rehearse through the week and then present these readings. During the festival, students will work directly with SDC respondents who are successful directors with a wide range of experience across many types of theatre.
Student Directed Ten-Minute Plays Staged Reading Timeline
Student Directors may apply to direct one of these plays by submitting the materials described below.
The directors will be paired with a playwright and dramaturg prior to the festival, on or about January 6th, 2023.
At that time, playwrights and directors will be given access to recorded auditions to begin preliminary casting for their plays. Final casting will take place at the festival, following a session of in-person auditions, on Wednesday, February 1.
Rehearsals for the staged readings will take place in-person during the festival. Exact schedule is TBD but will most likely take place between Wednesday and Friday with the staged readings taking place on Friday or Saturday.
How do I get started?
Step 1 – Submit Student Program Inquiry Form by Dec. 15th, 2022
- Be sure to complete a Student Program Inquiry Form and select Directing / Student Directed Ten-Minute Plays. Be sure to Submit by Dec. 15th to be on the list to receive links to the scripts to review.
Step 2 – Read the Selected Ten-Minute Plays and Submit Director’s Preferences by December 30th, 2022
Step 3 – Student Directors Paired with Playwright & Dramaturg January 6th, 2023
- Student Directors will be matched with the playwright and a dramaturg and be given access to initial audition submissions.
- Final In-Person Auditions will be held on Wednesday Feb. 1
Step 4 – Casting, Rehearsals and Presentation
- Casting will take place on Wednesday Feb 1st, 2023
- Rehearsals will take place during the Festival between Wednesday and Friday
- Staged readings will take place on Friday or Saturday